MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Federal prosecutors will be taking over the case against a repeat offender charged with drug and gun possession after fleeing from police last month.
Patrick Vaughn, 33, was taken into custody after police said he caused multiple wrecks along Poplar Avenue in a carjacked Kia sedan.
During a February 6 preliminary hearing in Shelby County General Sessions Court, 10 charges against Vaughn were dismissed for a “lack of prosecution.”
The case had to be dropped because witnesses were missing from the courtroom, according to Shelby County Assistant District Attorney Brooks Winnig.
The charges – ranging from being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun to drug possession to evading arrest – were not reset to be heard another time, Winnig said.
A separate felony carjacking charge against Vaughn was held to state the following day, meaning he could still be indicted on the count.
Shelby County prosecutors said the case would be taken over by the U.S. Attorney – an office which seeks stiffer penalties for drug and weapons violations.
However, a representative for the U.S Attorney for the Western District of Tennessee said the office could not provide any comment about Vaughn’s case.
Vaughn remains in Shelby County jail on $175,000 bond.
He has a criminal history dating back to age 19 and has already spent several years in prison, according to court records.