When you think of frequent shopper programs, you most often think of that grocery store card you keep on your key chain. You swipe it at check-out to get a few cents off on some products. You save money. The store tracks your spending habits.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart magazine has just released its list of recommended frequent shopper programs at other retailers:
* OFFICE DEPOT'S WORKLIFE REWARDS (www.myworkliferewards.com). You get 10 percent back on ink, toner and paper as well as designing, printing and shipping services. You get one percent cash back on everything else, and you can roll the rebate into future purchases.
* PETCO PALS (sign up in store). The pet store's discount card gets you one free bag of pet food for every 10 bags you buy in a year. Your pet also gets a free grooming or bath for every eight you buy in a year.
* BORDERS REWARDS (www.borders.com). With this card, the book store chain gives you $5 for every $150 you spend, plus you regularly qualify for special offers.
* WALGREENS EASYSAVER (www.walgreens.com). You get cash rebates on the store's featured items. The catch with this one, though, is you have to save your receipts and submit them online or by mail.
* TOYS "R" US REWARDS "R" US (www.toysrus.com). $5 gift certificate for every $150 spent during select promotions periods. Regular discounts on diapers, etc.
* CVS PHARMACY EXTRACARE (www.cvs.com). Two percent cash rebate on every in-store and online purchase. You can also get a $1 "Extra Buck" for every two prescriptions filled, plus weekly discounts.