Homeowners not happy with appraisal can appeal - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Homeowners not happy with appraisal can appeal

By Jamel Major - bio | email | Follow us on Twitter

BARTLETT, TN (WMC-TV) - James Brown purchased his Bartlett home 20 years ago.  When his tax appraisal recently jumped by $12,000, he decided to make an appeal with the Shelby County Tax Assessor's Office.

"They're supposed to notify us within a week but we haven't heard anything," he said.

Cheyenne Johnson, Shelby County Assessor of Property, says Brown isn't alone - she's expecting other residents to do the same.

"We do anticipate more appeals coming in this year because we know sales activities in some neighborhoods continue to decline," she said.

Johnson says anyone who is not pleased with the recommended value on their home should call the Shelby County Tax Assessor's Office within two weeks of receiving their appraisals.  Homeowners can request an informal review of their property so that it can be re-evaluated.  If residents are still not satisfied, they can appeal to the Shelby County Board of Equalization..

"At that time they'll come in and speak to a hearing officer," Johnson said. "That officer will review the information of the property owner, then make a decision to reduce the value or maintain it at the value we have."

If that doesn't work, homeowners can take it a step higher in the appeals process by going to an Administrative Law Judge, Assessment Appeals Commission, Tennessee State Board of Equalization, or lastly, court.
"I'm not going to take it all the way to Nashville," Brown said. "I just wanna let them know I'm not happy with it."

Powered by Frankly