Man pleads guilty in Chickasaw Gardens attack - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Man pleads guilty in Chickasaw Gardens attack

By Nick Kenney - bio | email | Follow us on Twitter

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - A Memphis man charged with raping a Memphis woman and holding her son at gunpoint entered a guilty plea Thursday.

Nearly two years after it started, the Chickasaw Gardens rape case is nearly over, after co-defendant Elroy Cobbins pleaded guilty Thursday to rape, robbery and burglary.

When it first happened, the case sparked a massive response.  Friends and neighbors of the victim flooded Memphis City Hall demanding answers.

"We've never, ever had a hallway full of people like this," Memphis City Council member Jack Sammons said of the scene on May 15, 2007.

Operation Safe Community got involved, along with the Reverend Dwight Montgomery.

"We gonna be calling other neighborhood organizations together," Montgomery said on May 17, 2007.

When the attack occured, the woman was in her Goodwyn Street home.  Two men walked in through an unlocked door, robbed her and her 12-year-old son at gunpoint, and then raped her.

Prosecutor Amy Wierich told the court that the Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center gathered vital forensic evidence in the hours after the crime.

That evidence pointed back to Elroy Cobbins.  He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 49 years in prison.

His accomplice, Marcello Hurst, previously pleaded guilty to robbery and burglary, and will be sentenced May 18th.

Powered by Frankly