Freeman not concerned about lawsuit - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Freeman not concerned about lawsuit

By Lori Brown - bio | email | Follow us on Twitter

TUNICA, MS (WMC-TV) - Actor Morgan Freeman spoke publicly for the first time Thursday about the automobile accident that put him in a hospital and led to a lawsuit.

Action News 5 caught up with Freeman at the Mississippi Grammy Gala in Tunica.  It was one of Freeman's first public appearances in the Mid-South since the actor flipped his car last August near his home in north Mississippi.

Click here to watch the brief interview, or watch it in the video player on this page.

After the accident, Freeman underwent surgery to repair several broken bones.

Thursday, the 71-year-old actor appeared fully recovered, except for a white glove on his left hand, which remained mostly hidden from view.

"I'm doing fine," he said. "I'm almost fully recovered, except the hand."

While his physical battle is nearly over, a legal battle is brewing.  But Thursday night, the Academy Award winning actor acted as though he could care less about the lawsuit filed by Demaris Meyer, the woman who was his passenger in the crash.

"I'm not upset by anything," he said. "All that's going on over there somewhere.  I don't even think about it."

Meyer claims Freeman had been drinking before he got behind the wheel, and is suing for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, permanent disability and property damage.

Meyer's high profile attorney, Gloria Allred, gave Freeman until July to respond to the lawsuit.

Meanwhile, Freeman, who is featured in this month's Vogue Magazine, is gearing up for his new film where he will portray Nelson Mandela.  His injured left hand remains hidden in all of the pictures except for one.

Copyright 2009 WMC-TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly