New residency requirement for DeSoto students - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

New residency requirement for DeSoto students

HERNANDO, Miss. (AP) - DeSoto County school officials say children enrolling for the first time in county schools - or just moving from one school or another - need proof that they live in the county.

Jim Caldwell, security coordinator for the DeSoto County School District, says they're not trying to deny anyone an education. He says out-of-district students cost taxpayers money that could be spent on DeSoto County students.

The school district's residency coordinator, Hank Babin, says illegal students cost the district upward of $3 million in 2003-04. He was hired the following year to begin tracking numbers and help cracking down on illegal students.

Proofs of residency include a lease or mortgage at the child's address, a utility bill for that address, or a car registration receipt and state driver's license.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly