Police were investigating sex offender before Amber Alert - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Police were investigating sex offender before Amber Alert

By Nick Kenney - bio | email | Twitter | Facebook

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Police were investigating a Memphis man at the center of a weekend Amber Alert before that alert was issued Saturday morning.

Monday, Memphis police said they opened an investigation in Mark Tyre on August 9th, and wanted to talk to him all last week but could not find him.

An Amber Alert was issued Saturday morning after Tyre disappeared with a 14-year-old boy.  The pair was found later in the day.

Tyre, who lives at 3849 Orchi, is now in jail, charged with charged with soliciting the sexual exploitation of a minor.

Additional charges are probably going to be forthcoming," Memphis Police Department Deputy Chief Joe Scott said Monday.

Investigators say Tyre traded sexually explicit photographs with the 14-year-old boy, who lived at the same house on Orchi with his mother and step father, by cell phone.  Police say the boy's parents invited Tyre to come live with them.  Eventually the boy and his parents moved away, but on Friday, the boy returned to Orchi.

That was when, according to investigators, Tyre and the boy left on foot in an attempt to get away. They walked until they were found in Bartlett.

"He had some influence over this 14-year-old," Scott said.  "Too much influence, and he talked him into going along with some things that were not right."

Tyre is listed on the Tennessee State Sex Offender Registry. According to court documents, in 1991 Tyre forced a boy less than 13-years-old into a wooded area and raped him.

Tyre served 10 years in state prison.

According to Scott, the 14-year-old boy at the center of Saturday's Amber Alert will undergo forensic testing, the results of which could lead to more charges.

Copyright 2009 WMC-TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly