MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - As 2009 comes to a close, we're taking a look back at the top stories in the Mid-South over the past year.
In no particular order, these are the top stories of 2009, as selected by the Action News 5 staff:
1. John Calipari leaves Memphis for Kentucky; Josh Pastner becomes head Tigers coach
2. Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton resigns, changes his mind, resigns again, then pulls petition to replace himself
3. Shelby County Mayor AC Wharton elected Memphis Mayor
4. Feds raid Memphis Animal Shelter, results in firings and shelter overhaul
5. Staff shortage at Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center prevents rape victims from receiving treatment
6. Bruce Tuck - AKA the Big Bellied Rapist - terrorizes Mid-South women for weeks before capture
7. Apple CEO Steve Jobs receives life-saving liver transplant in Memphis; buys home for recovery
8. Winter and summer storms wreak havoc across Mid-South (February snowstorm, July tornados)
9. Marianna man Curtis Vance convicted in rape/murder of news personality Anne Pressly
In order, these were the top 10 stories viewed by WMCTV.com visitors in the year 2009:
Many of these stories continued to develop in the days after they were first reported, and most were followed up with additional stories.
In your opinion, what was the top story of the year 2009? Email us your response by clicking here, or vote in the poll below:
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far: