SOUTHAVEN, MS (WMC-TV) - A Southaven couple says help from the community is helping them cope with a devastating fire last week that destroyed their home.
The fire happened on the evening of December 28th on at a home on Gilford Cove in Southaven, as Tina Dickerson and her husband Roger were having dinner at a local restaurant.
The Dickersons received a call from a neighbor telling them their house was fully engulfed in flames.
"We could see flames and smoke 150 to 200 feet up in the air, and we thought 'Oh my God, it just can't be,'" Tina Dickerson said.
Monday, one week after the fire, the home was only a shell of its former self. The Dickersons lost all of their possessions in the fire. To compound matters, Tina Dickerson is also dealing with health issues which require her to use oxygen. Her husband, who works for the Southaven Police Department, is also a member of VIP, the Volunteers In Policing program.
VIP president Annette Clark said program members assisted the couple on the night of the fire.
"Not just us VIP's, but the community will step up and help him too, because he needs the help," Clark said. "He's a good part of this community."
The Dickersons have only been married for six months, and they say love will keep them together.
"I wouldn't have made it if it hadn't been for him thorough all this," Dickerson said of her husband.
Officials have not determined exactly what sparked the blaze.
You can make a donation to the Dickersons at any Mid-South BankPlus location.