Memphis animal clinic catches fire

By Janice Broach - bio | email

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - An animal clinic caught fire Tuesday night in Whitehaven, killing at least one dog.

Smoke rose from Pet's Choice Animal Clinic on East Shelby Drive near Southland Mall as firefighters battled the flames.

Dr. Greg Shaw, the owner of the clinic, said he got a call from the alarm company.

He rushed to the clinic to try and save the only dog in the building.

"Luckily there was just one, but unfortunately she didn't make it," Shaw said.  "All the efforts of the paramedics couldn't save her."

Dr. Greg Shaw said the dog was a pit bull he had rescued and was treating.

Shaw did not know how the fire started or how much damage there is.

Copyright 2010 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.