RALEIGH, TN (WMC-TV) - More than two dozen people were left homeless after fire ripped through a Raleigh apartment complex Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to the 3100 block of Write Place inside the Walden Pointe Apartments just after 1:00 a.m.
"It was a loud thump," resident Kura Allen said. "Like somebody was fighting upstairs or something."
Kura saw a pine tree backlit by flame and smoke from a ball of fire swallowing her apartment building.
"I looked out my blinds and I seen the fire just coming," she said.
Residents quickly helped each other escape from the building.
"I was in the shower and I just started smelling smoke," Tristan Golden said. "My neighbor came and knocked on my door telling everybody to get out."
74 firefighters worked nearly 45 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
"Our firefighters responded aggressively and effectively to this fire," said Lt. Wayne Cooke of the Memphis Fire Department.
No one was injured, but the local Red Cross is assisting 19 adults and 9 children who lived in the 16 units that were damaged.
Cook said it was unclear if any of the apartments had a working smoke detector. The fire is under investigation and damage estimates have not been determined.
No one was injured in the fire.
Copyright 2010 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.