CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO/WMC-TV) - You probably think of your home as your safe place, but it might house hidden dangers that could threaten your family's health.
It happened to a Cleveland girl who recently became deathly sick from a hidden danger in her home - lead.
Action News 5 found what happened to her could happen to anyone unless you know what to look for.
In this report, we list the top toxins that could be lurking in your house, and show you how to protect your family from a Toxic Home.
HOW DO YOU ACHIEVE LEAD SAFE LIVING?
- Keep paint in good shape
- Fix peeling and chipping paint safely, don't dry scrape!
- Cover bare soil with grass or mulch
- Children should be tested for lead poisoning twice before their 3rd birthday and once again before age 6
- Talk to your medical provider about a blood lead test
- Know your child's blood lead level; levels 5 and above are harmful
- Keep your kids safe from the dangers of lead poisoning
- For information on LEAD SAFE LIVING contact your local health department or the Memphis-Shelby County Health Department at 901-544-7646.