Cab driver describes eventful ride with Cannon Smith - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Cab driver describes eventful ride with Cannon Smith

Posted: Updated:

By Nick Kenney - bio | email | Facebook

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Cannon Smith filed into court Thursday hours after being released on bail.

Smith posted a $100 bond after his arrest on charges of disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

At 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, at the corner of Second and Beale Street, cab driver Samuel Pigues flagged down the police and claimed he had a fare refusing to pay for a ride.

"That was the worst fare ever for somebody ... to be sitting there with my money and wouldn't pay me," said Pigues.

Smith is the son of FedEx founder and CEO Fred Smith.  He is also a quarterback on the Memphis Tigers roster.

"He said, 'don't you know me?'" said Pigues.  "I said, 'uh, no.'  He said, 'I'm the quarterback for Memphis.'  I said, 'well, I really don't have a clue.  I ain't a big football watcher anyhow.'"

Pigues said Smith asked for a ride to Mapco and repeatedly offered to buy him items from the convenience store.  Pigues said Smith bought a can of chewing tobacco before getting back in the cab to continue the ride.

The fare took them west on Linden then left on Front Street.  Pigues said he kept asking for the correct address, but Smith just told him to keep driving.

Pigues drove all the way to Tennessee Street and the security gate at South Bluffs Apartments.

"He looked at me, and he looked around and said, 'where the hell you got me at, man?'" said Pigues.  "I said... 'you just told me to turn in here.'"

Pigues drove back to Second and Beale, where Pigues and police said Smith initially refused to pay the fare and turned combative.

"He offered me for a fight in front of the police," said Pigues.  "He said, 'what, you want me to fight?  I'll kick your (expletive) here.'  I said, 'look man, all I want is my money.  I did you a service, just give me my money.'"

At his initial court appearance in General Sessions Court 9, Smith sat in the front row in silence.  Within an hour, he left with his lawyer without having to step in front of the judge first.

Smith and his attorney declined to comment on the way out of 201 Poplar.  He is scheduled to return to court January 28 for another report date.

Pigues said Smith eventually paid the fare, but did not want to sign the credit card slip.

Copyright 2010 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow