Apartment fire leaves 25 homeless - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Apartment fire leaves 25 homeless

By Nick Kenney - bio | email | Facebook

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - More than two dozen people, including nine children, were forced out of their homes after a fire tore through their apartment complex Wednesday morning.

Firefighters say the flames started around 6 a.m. because someone was using their stove to stay warm.

Witnesses described flames pouring from the first floor of the apartment building in the 860 block of North 7th St.

"It was blazing up over there," Vera Milton said. "And then I saw all my neighbors standing out there by the street."

While no one was injured during the fire, 16 adults and 9 kids were displaced. The Red Cross is providing all of the victims with help.

Investigators said 12 apartments were damaged by the blaze.

According to Memphis Fire Director Alvin Benson, fires caused by people using stoves to keep warm are not uncommon, but he warned that appliances should not be used as heaters.

"We understand you have to keep warm. It's important," he said. "Stoves, they aren't designed to keep the house warm.  They're designed for cooking."

It was the second such fire in a seven day span in Memphis.

"This is a peak season for us," Benson said.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly