Students give carbon monoxide detectors in honor of classmate - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Students give carbon monoxide detectors in honor of classmate

WINDSOR, CO (CNN) - In honor of a classmate who died from carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 70 students gave out carbon monoxide detectors to remember their fallen classmate.

The group of Windsor High School students in Windsor, CO, spent their afternoon walking through neighborhoods and knocking on doors. The man behind the operation was Don Johnson, Lauren Johnson's father.

"Our goal is to get one carbon monoxide detector in every home in our community," Johnson said.

Along with students, he and his wife have been working hand in hand with the Windsor Severance Fire Protection District. The response to the program has been overwhelmingly positive with between 150 and 200 requests for detectors.

The fire department said they will probably be swamped over the next few days doing installations, but it is a small price to pay for honoring Lauren's memory and to save more lives.

"It's so well received by the community, I'm really happy," said Fire Marshal Mike Davis.

"She was a very strong young woman who wanted to make a difference in people's lives, and that's what we want to see continuing to happen," Johnson said.

Copyright 2011 CNN. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly