Neighbors believe woman's death caused by heat - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Neighbors believe woman's death caused by heat

(WMC-TV) - Neighbors said the death of a woman inside her home in Hughes, Arkansas was caused by the extreme heat.

Curtis Collins lived in the dilapidated house in Hughes until his wife, Mary Lee Collins, died Wednesday.

"I don't know what to do right now," said Curtis Collins.

Curtis Collins said when his wife laid down next to him, he knew there was a problem.

"She was hot all over," he said.  "I got her some ice.  She got too hot.  Blood pressure go up on her."

A friend, Janet Franklin, found Mary Lee Collins.

"She was so hot," said Franklin.  "It was a shame.  It's too hot up in there for them."

People who went inside the house said there were fans on, but it was unbearably hot.  Curtis Collins paid $80 a month to live on one side of the house.

Josephine Miller, a longtime friend of Mary Lee Collins, said she wants something done.

"When I heard about her death, it just hurt me," said Miller.  "I heard he was still living there, and I said, 'no, I don't want to see that happen to him, too.'"

Curtis Collins said he is just trying to hold on after the death of his wife.

"I been crying ever since," he said.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly