Charges dropped against woman accused of shooting MPD sergeant - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Charges dropped against woman accused of shooting MPD sergeant

Martha Mote Martha Mote

(WMC-TV) – Investigators have dismissed all charges against a woman who was accused of shooting Memphis police officer Norman Benjamin last weekend.

Martha Mote was arraigned Tuesday morning and had been charged with attempted second degree murder. Prosecutors announced the charges had been dropped during a news conference Thursday morning.

Prosecutors had accused Mote of shooting the veteran officer during a domestic dispute Saturday.

Mote walked out of Jail East a free woman Thursday.

"My office did not feel that we could go forward with the evidence and the facts as we know them," said Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich.

Mote's family claimed Benjamin shot himself.

"He put a towel around his stomach and shot himself so blood wouldn't go everywhere," said Mote's future son-in-law Joshua Simmons.

Investigators declined to comment on the allegation and on who they believe shot Benjamin.

"We're still actively investigating this," said Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong.  "There are a lot of angles and twists and turns in this."

Mote compared her charges being dropped to the recent release of the West Memphis Three.

"It's like the West Memphis Three when that started years ago," she said.  "No way they were guilty.  So it was kind of like that, you know.  Trying to wrap my mind around me being here not being guilty."

Armstrong would not say if, when, or what charges Benjamin might eventually face.  Benjamin remains in the ICU at the MED.

Simmons said Mote and Benjamin were not romantically involved.

To read a statement from Latino Memphis on Sgt. Norman Benjamin, click here.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly