Neighbors save Memphis couple from rapidly spreading fire

A Memphis couple was saved early Monday morning when their neighbors alerted them to a quickly spreading house fire.
A Memphis couple was saved early Monday morning when their neighbors alerted them to a quickly spreading house fire.

(WMC-TV) - A Memphis couple was saved early Monday morning when their neighbors alerted them to a quickly spreading house fire.

Colin Hannah said he and a friend were sitting in their living room early Monday morning when they heard two bangs.

"We thought it was a gunshot," Hannah said. "We ran out into the garage, and we saw that there was smoke in the back door."

Hannah and his friend ran over and starting banging on doors and windows to wake Ivy and William Houston up. The couple quickly ran outside as intense, flames rose over 20 feet into the air and engulfed their home.

The fire did extensive damage, but instead of feeling bad about what happened to their home, the Houstons were glad their neighbor woke them up.

"They all are our heroes laugh, cause we had no idea what was going on," the Houstons said.

The Houston called Hannah and his roommate heroes, but Hannah said they were just being good neighbors.

"I'd do it again," he said.

Officials have not said what sparked the blaze. The Houston's are already busy getting estimates on what it will take to repair their home.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.