5 hospitalized after frightening carbon monoxide leak

Firefighters were called to a home in the 4000 block of Crystal Springs Drive just after 6:00 a.m., where they found five people who appeared to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 4000 block of Crystal Springs Drive just after 6:00 a.m., where they found five people who appeared to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

(WMC-TV) - A Memphis family is recovering after a terrifying carbon monoxide leak in their home.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 4000 block of Crystal Springs Drive just after 6:00 a.m., where they found five people who appeared to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sherry Harris described the scene.

"Everybody was throwing up and passing out," she said.

Harris' three grandchildren where in the house, along with her daughter, Ciarra, and her daughter's boyfriend. She rushed over to the house after phoning Ciarra and sensing that something was wrong.

"We call each other every morning, so I was calling her to see if she got up for the kids, and she told me, she said, 'Mama my head is hurting real bad. It feels like I'm fixin' to pass out, and my kids are just hollering and screaming and throwing up,'" Harris said.

The children were taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in non critical condition. Meanwhile, Ciarra Harris remained hospitalized. Her boyfriend was ok.

"Ciarra had more in her system than the boyfriend, so they are going to keep her," Sherry Harris said.

Doctors say when you breathe in carbon monoxide, the poison replaces the oxygen in your bloodstream, and your heart, brain and body become starved of oxygen.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include breathing problems, chest pains, confusion, dizziness drowsiness, headaches muscle weakness, nausea and vomiting. Doctors say it all depends on how much is breathed in.

Back on Crystal Springs Drive, MLGW has shut down the utilities at Ciarra Harris' home while investigators determine the source of the carbon monoxide leak.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.