(WMC-TV) – A large sinkhole formed after firefighters in Memphis responded to a fire at a day care home late Thursday morning.
Authorities were called to the day care, located in the 2700 block of Frayser Boulevard, shortly after 10:15 a.m.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, smoke and flames were visible coming from the day care home. The fire was brought under control a short time later.
"I cut the bathroom light on," said LaRuth Cook, the owner of the home. "I heard some little crackling in the wall. So I called 911 and I told them I had a fire."
Cook said smoke and water damage were minimal, and two children - her son and niece - escaped unharmed.
As firefighters extinguished the flames, a water main in the area broke, causing parts of nearby Ladue Street to buckle.
The situation gave firefighters fits.
"We had to start re-positioning our companies because we were worried about the road actually starting to collapse on us," send Mark Kelley of the Memphis Fire Department. "They tend to fall into holes really quickly 'cause they're very heavy."
The resulting flooding on Ladue Street left some residents, like Donald Letcher, stuck at home, on the shores of a cascade of water spewing from a sinkhole.
"I'm wondering how my wife's gonna get home," Letcher said.
Investigators said the fire was mostly contained to a single wall. Later, they confirmed it started because of an electrical issue.
>>Text WMCNEWS to 56376 to receive breaking news text messages from Action News 5.<<