(WMC-TV) - A fire destroyed 22 units at a Tunica, Mississippi apartment complex early Tuesday morning. The fire broke out just before 6:30 a.m. at the Nixon Apartment Complex.
No serious injuries were reported. Raycine Kitchen, a resident of the complex, described the terrifying moments just after the fire broke out.
"The fire was hitting me in my face," she said. "I ran out. I got everybody else out."
While authorities are still looking into the cause of the fire, investigators believe it could be electrical.
"It started in the wire," Kitchen said. "Started in the socket. I had just moved from upstairs to the apartment downstairs. Nobody had been in the apartment for two years."
Meanwhile, the American Red Cross has stepped in to provide temporary shelter and assistance to the families who are displaced.
The American Red Cross is providing aid to residents who lost their homes in the fire.
"We have to do so much to try to get into a shelter," Kitchen said. "We have no clothes, food, shelter - nothing."
An emergency shelter was likely to be opened at the G. W. Henderson Community Center, located at 1165 Abbay in Tunica, depending on the needs of apartment residents affected by the fire.
>>Text WMCNEWS to 56376 to receive breaking news text messages from Action News 5.<<