Elderly man killed in Wednesday morning house fire

Investigators believe the victim likely died of smoke inhalation.
Investigators believe the victim likely died of smoke inhalation.

(WMC-TV) - A Wednesday morning house fire claimed the life of an elderly man.

Authorities said a passing driver saw a house on fire in the 3900 block of Canada Road around 9:00 a.m. Wednesday and called 911.

When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting through the windows of the small home. The man's body was found inside a short time later.

Investigators did not release the name of the victim, but family members identified him as 100-year-old George Farris.

Firefighters found Farris' body in a front room of the home, where they believe the blaze started.

"His son lives here with him when he's here, but certain times a month he's gone, so he's probably been gone for three or four days and left him here by himself," said Farris' nephew, George E. Farris.

Authorities said the victim's body was badly burned, and he may have succumbed to the heavy smoke.

"It's what you would typically find in a home that had burned heavily," said Shelby County Fire Department spokesperson Brent Perkins. "It's not a scene that's conducive to survival."

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling the blaze, but did not require treatment.

>>Text WMCNEWS to 56376 to receive breaking news text messages from Action News 5.<<

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.