House fire kills elderly Memphis woman - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

House fire kills elderly Memphis woman

An elderly woman died after her home burned during an electrical fire. An elderly woman died after her home burned during an electrical fire.

(WMC-TV) - An elderly Frayer woman died after a fire broke out inside her home around 8:30 Monday night. Tuesday, firefighters went door to door in the area trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Sarah Richardson, the 81-year-old victim, lived near the intersection of Belleau and Townsend in Frayser. The deadly blaze was caused by an electrical problem.

In order to prevent more fatal fires, fire crews canvassed the area and asked residents if they had working smoke detectors.

Residents who didn't have working smoke detectors were given one for free, along with some warnings from firefighters on how the number of house fires usually increases during the holidays.

"In the wintertime, people tend to stay inside more," said Kenneth Reeves, of the Memphis Fire Department. "The activities that lead to accidental fire more often occur in the home."

Residents say they were glad to get the free smoke detectors and a number said they knew Richardson.

Her death has people in the neighborhood eager for anything that might alert them to a fire.

"You got to be real careful and have working smoke detectors all the time and watch what you do," said Charquita Burks.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly