Smoke detector awakens man who saves children - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Smoke detector awakens man who saves children

(WMC-TV) - A Memphis father was awakened by a smoke detector early Wednesday morning before he ran back into his burning house to save his son and daughter.

The fire happened around 1:00 a.m. in the 500 block of St. Nick Drive in the house Barrett Rogers moved into eight months ago.

Hours later, when there was enough daylight to see, Rogers sifted through his belongings and reflected on waking to discover his house on fire.

"It was hellish," said Rogers.  "It was pitch black.  The smoke was so thick you could barely take a breath of air."

Rogers said the flames covered part of his roof and spread quickly.  He scrambled to wake his sleeping son and daughter and carry them to safety.

"I knew I had to get the kids out, so I made sure of my exit, and I grabbed them and I carried them upside down with their head below the smoke out to my little truck," he said.

Rogers' children were transported to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation and later released.  Rogers was also treated for minor injuries to his arm.

After Rogers got his children out, he realized his five cats were still trapped inside.  He said four of the cats managed to escape through the front door, but one cat was trapped in a back bedroom.

Rogers said he injured his arm trying to go back into the burning house to rescue the cat.

Rogers said his smoke detector is what first alerted him to the house fire.  He said he was thankful his family got out alive.

"Nothing that can't be replaced was lost, and that's all that matters to me," he said.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly