Midtown apartment fire forces families out of their homes - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Midtown apartment fire forces families out of their homes

(WMC-TV) - A fire at a Midtown Memphis apartment complex Thursday forced one family out of their home for the second time in a year.

The fire was contained to one apartment, but several household were displaced.

For Mary Killion and her family, the sounds of damage and destruction were all too familiar.  

"It's just too much," said Killion.  "I'm so thankful my family got out and stuff.  It's going to be OK, I know it's going to be OK."

Last May, Killion lost another apartment to fire, also at the Union Place Apartments.  Her family came to support her Thursday night as she again watched firefighters toss her burned belongings from the window.

Firefighters determined this fire was the result of a malfunctioning heating unit in Killion's hallway.  Killion said she noticed electrical issues for months, but kept silent because she was just thankful to have a place to live.

"I was always scared about this because I knew it was faulty wire, but my rent always behind because of hard times, but they dealt with me," she said.  "I didn't want to complain because they let me live here."

Killion said the last few years have been hard on her financially, but she is now as low as she can get.  Neighbors watched with heavy hearts.

"It's sad," said apartment resident Antonio Chapple.  "It is and I actually want something done.  We actually pay our rent, we are good tenants.  We expect to live safe and to know you aren't living safe in your apartment is scary."

The families affected by the fire are being supported by the Red Cross, friends and family.

Neighbors said the last fire was blamed on electrical wiring.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly