AT&T drops DeSoto cell phone tower plan - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

AT&T drops DeSoto cell phone tower plan

HERNANDO, Miss. (AP) - Plans for a controversial AT&T cell tower south of Hernando have been dropped.

The Commercial Appeal reports AT&T, facing static from neighbors fearing harm to health and safety and from history buffs noting a nearby Civil War clash in 1863, has retreated.

The site of the proposed tower was off Robertson Gin Road south of Hernando.

DeSoto County Interim Planning Director Gina Tynan says AT&T submitted a letter last week formally withdrawing their application.

Her office notified landowner Mike Charnes, who had filed an appeal with the supervisors to overturn the county Board of Adjustment's Oct. 10 approval of the tower on adjacent agricultural property.

She said if AT&T resubmits an application for another site, the review process starts all over again.

Information from: The Commercial Appeal.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly