(WMC-TV) – A correctional officer in Madison County has resigned following allegations that he used excessive force while booking an inmate.
Correctional Officer Benjamin E. Long, 24, is accused to have violated the following policies:
- Using unnecessary force in the performance of duty
- Members shall make reports promptly and in a manner prescribed by regulation. They shall not make a false report, either orally or in writing.
- Member shall not engage in any conduct which constitutes conduct unbecoming an officer
- Employees shall conduct themselves in a professional manner when interacting with inmates.
- No facility employee shall strike or lay hands on inmates except when necessary to prevent escape, to prevent injury to person or property, to quell a disturbance or in other execution of duties. Jailers will use only the amount of necessary force to regain control of a situation.
Officer Long began as a correction officer in September 2009. The internal investigation into the allegations is closed, however, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is still investigating whether excessive force was used.