Bain family spokesperson reports girls are doing well

Scene in Alpine, MS, where Adam Mayes' and Bain girls were located.
Scene in Alpine, MS, where Adam Mayes' and Bain girls were located.
Kyliyah (left), Alexandria (right)
Kyliyah (left), Alexandria (right)
Alexandria (left), Kyliyah (middle), Adrienne (right)
Alexandria (left), Kyliyah (middle), Adrienne (right)

(WMC-TV) - The street to the Bain family home is being guarded by sheriff's deputies in an effort to offer Alexandria and Kyliyah Bain support and protection as they recover from a situation that led to death of their mother, sister, and accused kidnapper.

The two girls were missing for two weeks after Adam Mayes allegedly kidnapped them, their mother, Jo Ann, and sister, Adrienne, on April 27.

The situation ended Thursday night when Adam Mayes shot himself in the head as Mississippi wildlife resource officers approached him in the woods near Alpine, Mississippi.

The girls were taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital to be treated for dehydration, exposure, and poison ivy.  They were released early Friday morning and are now recovering at home.

The Bain family spokesperson tells Action News 5 the girls are doing well and they got a good night's sleep.

The spokesperson described this two-week long situation as "a tragedy, a total nightmare tragedy."

In a news conference today, the Mississippi wildlife resource officers spoke about what happened when they found the girls.

"I began giving commands. Then the little girl picked her head up, the other little girl picked her head up. Mr. Mayes began to raise his head. He had a weapon in his hand and I hollered 'Gun' three times to let my team know there was a weapon involved," said Lieutenant Lee Ellington. "We ordered Mr. Mayes to drop the weapon. Mr. Mayes raised up to his knees and brought the gun not to us or the children and at that time he took his life."

CNN reported Friday morning that three more people are under arrest in the investigation of the kidnappings.

The identities of those people have not yet been revealed. One person was charged with making false statements. The other two are charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

"If we can determine that there was anyone either in Tennessee or Mississippi who assisted Adam Mayes while he was on the run we are going to try to make sure they are arrested and prosecuted for their involvement," said Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn.

Investigators will not confirm whether the Bain sisters are aware that their mother, Jo Ann, and older sister, Adrienne, were murdered.

Their autopsy reports are sealed under a court order by request of the FBI and the Hardeman County District Attorney Mike Dunavant.

Dunavant said the reports are sealed due to the pending homicide charges against Mayes' wife Teresa, who said she witnessed her husband commit the murders and helped him hide the bodies.

District Attorney General Mike Dunavant tells Action News 5 that even though their primary suspect is dead, they plan to move forward with prosecution in the case.

"We still intend to move forward with the evidence we have," Dunavant said over the phone.  "In addition to anyone else who is found to have participated in these homicides and this kidnapping. We'll move forward with that evidence and we want to thank and commend the good work of all of these agencies."

Dunavant said the girls will be key witnesses in the case.

"Our focus is that they receive specialized care and treatment they need at this time," he told WMC-TV.  "Later on, they will be considered material witnesses in this case, they are victims and will be treated with ultimate care, dignity and respect."

Adam Mayes' wife, Teresa, is charged with first degree murder and kidnapping for her role in the crimes.

Teresa's sister, Bobbi Booth, spoke with Action News 5 on the phone after Mayes died.

"It's frustrating that Adam took the simple way out," said Booth. She has not spoken to her sister since the arrest.

Booth said that her sister graduated with a special education degree and was easily manipulated by Mayes. She agrees that her sister should be punished for her role in the kidnapping, but hopes the courts consider the entire scenario.

Mayes' mother, Mary Frances, is also charged in connection to the kidnapping.

The girls were found with Mayes just miles from the home where their mother and sister's bodies were found.

Officers say they checked the area around the church previously, which leads them to believe Mayes had been on the run since he and the family went missing two weeks ago.

Mayes was added to the FBI's Most Wanted list Wednesday for the murder of Jo Ann Bain, and her 14-year-old daughter, Adrienne.  The website changed his status to deceased shortly after he was captured.

Bain and her three daughters went missing on April 27 from their Hardeman County home.  On Saturday, May 5, an AMBER Alert was issued for the three girls.

Three days after the family disappeared, Mayes was captured on a Guntown, MS, store surveillance camera.  That was the last time Mayes was seen until his capture.

On May 5, police informed media they found two bodies in the backyard of Mayes' Alpine home.  The bodies were later confirmed to be those of Jo Ann and Adrienne Bain.

Teresa Mayes was arrested and is charged with two counts of 1st degree murder and two counts of especially aggravated kidnapping.

His mother, Mary Frances, is charged with four counts of conspiracy to commit aggravated kidnapping.

In interviews with detectives, Teresa Mayes revealed that her husband killed Jo Ann and Adrienne Bain as part of a plan to kidnap the younger girls.  She told investigators that she saw Mayes kill Jo Ann in a garage near their home.

Rumors are circulating about why Mayes would kidnap the two young girls.  The FBI has yet to release a motive for the crimes.

A fund has been set up to assist the Bain family. Donations can be made at any of the seven Farmers and Merchants Bank branches in Tennessee.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.