Neighbor saves woman from house fire

MEMPHIS, TN - (WMC-TV) – A woman was pulled from her house engulfed by fire, by a heroic neighbor in North Memphis Wednesday night. It was a fire from which smoke could be seen for miles. 

That neighbor can be considered a hero who likely saved the life of his 50-year-old neighbor.

The one story house in the 600 block of Leath Avenue was engulfed in flames and a lot of smoke when firefighters arrived just before 8 Wednesday night.  Smoke billowed from the home.  Horrified neighbors ran to the home realizing the woman who lived here was still inside.  Donald Baker tried several times to get into the house. 

"So I kicked it in and the middle of the room was raging with fire. I called for her name. She started screaming and hollering and I said oh I think she was on fire because the fire was in the room where she was at," Baker said.

"I knocked the window out and crawled through the window and tried to get through but I couldn't because of too much smoke," he added. "I called and asked her, begged her please could she come to my voice and reach for me. I had to go back through the window. She came to my voice and reached for my hand and I grabbed her and pulled her out."

Investigators say the woman was not burned but did have smoke inhalation. Donald Baker says he is ok.

Action News 5 has learned careless use of smoking materials caused the fire. The victim is recovering at the Med tonight.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.