(WMC-TV)- While people across the Mid-South are preparing for Fourth of July festivities, the Memphis Fire Department wants people to stay as safe as possible.
If fireworks are legal in your area, here are some useful ways on how to properly light them and discard them:
• Never allow your children to play with or ignite fireworks. Adults should supervise fireworks activities.
• Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them. Remember, there are penalties for violations.
• Parents often don't realize there are many injuries from sparklers to children under five. Sparklers burn hot enough to melt some metals.
• Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
• Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully functioned.
• Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
• Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishaps.
• Light one item at a time and then move back quickly.
• Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
• After fireworks fully complete their functioning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding
The Memphis fire department also suggests that the grill should not be left unattended and children should not be allowed to play near the grill.