Family of man who died in police custody raises serious questions

(WMC-TV) – A man died in police custody and now his family is asking questions.

Brenda Conner is grieving over the death of her son, Lorenzo Davis. He died Monday night after being arrested.

According to a Memphis Police Department news release, officers responded to a call that cocaine was being sold of an abandoned house.

They say when they tried to arrest Davis, he hit and officer and took off running.

When he was finally in the back of the squad car, he was sweating profusely.

Davis was rushed to Methodist Central Hospital where he later died.

His family and an entire neighborhood is now suspicious and believe there is much more to the story.

"When they drug him out of my backyard. He was already bleeding and, uh, he couldn't walk. He was already hurt," said neighbor William Harris.

Harris said Davis was arrested in his backyard and that he saw six officers surrounding him.

"He didn't resist. The police, the police, I don't know why they did it. It wasn't right. It wasn't right. And it wasn't fair," said Harris.

Others who witnessed the aftermath also say Davis was handled too harshly.

Claim Davis was handled too harshly.

One neighbor even heard an officer tell him to stop bleeding in his car.

Davis' mother said doctors at Methodist told her the only thing that was in her son's system was high levels of Tylenol. They said he had severe head injuries, internal bleeding, and a broken leg.

"He had blood coming all out of his ears, nose, and his stomach, everywhere," she said.

Family acknowledges Lorenzo has a previous arrest record but claims he has never been violent nor resistant with police.

"My brother a good person. He never get aggressive with nobody, man. He the best person in the world, man, to get along with. He don't bother nobody, man, nobody," said the victim's brother, Marquette.

Brenda Conner said her son's death makes no sense.

"I want answers about why, what, what happened? What happened?"

Davis' official cause of death has not yet been determined.

His body is at the medical examiner's office for autopsy.

The officers involved have been routinely relieved of duty pending the outcome of this investigation.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.