(WMC-TV) – The triple digit temperatures are hard to bear. They are especially hard to deal with if you do not have air conditioning.
An 81-year-old Oakhaven resident, who wished not to be identified, has been without power for more than 24 hours.
Neighbors say a tree fell in the area causing the outage. MLGW advised customers it would be 1 a.m. Sunday before power is restored.
With candles lit, and lanterns burning, the woman refuses to leave her home in the heat.
"Last time I left, they broke in my garage and stole my lawn mower and everything I had like that and I just don't want to leave again," she said.
Saturday morning, Memphis Fire director Alvin Benson warned residents of the safety risks.
"They are afraid to leave their homes. They know it's not safe. They know that they're hot and they need to leave," said Memphis Fire Department Director Alvin Benson.
Two people in Shelby County have died as a result of the heat so far this year. The health department is urging residents to visit local cooling centers.
"Try to go some place such as a mall, a community center, or a library to cool down," said Shelby County Health Department Chief Medical Officer Helen Morrow. "We recommend drinking plenty of fluids, especially water, and avoiding certain fluids that can actually dehydrate you and those would be your alcoholic beverages."
As a senior citizen, the woman previously mentioned knows the danger of staying in her home but says she will take her chances until Sunday.
"I'm going to try it one more night and if it's not on I'm going to leave. I don't care what happens," she said.