ANDY'S CONSUMER PAY-OFF - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee


Verifying religious charities/ministries

* If they are soliciting cash donations in public (sidewalks, intersections, etc.), they must produce written proof of their group's 501 (c)(3) status or affiliation with a tax-exempt charity/church.

* Check a group's tax-exempt status with the IRS right here.

* Certain religious charities don't have to be registered with the Tennessee Secretary of State's Division of Charitable Solicitations & Gaming, but they may have to file with the Tennessee Department of Revenue. In MS: Mississippi Secretary of State. In AR: Arkansas Attorney General.

* Check a ministry's/charity's reputation with the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance.

Powered by Frankly