Seven people escape house fire near U of M

(WMC-TV) - A raging fire forced seven people out of their home early Thursday morning.

The fire happened in the 3500 block of Stuart Road, just a few blocks away from the University of Memphis.

Everyone was able to safely escape before the fire crews arrived.

Once on the scene, it took the crews about 35 minutes to put out the flames.

Fire investigators say a faulty surge protector in the living room area started the fire.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.