Autopsy results for man who died in police custody could be revealed

Vigil held for man who died in police custody

(WMC-TV) - Thursday, friends and family held a vigil for Lorenzo Davis, who died while in police custody in July. And today, they might be one step closer to knowing what actually caused his death. And autopsy report for Davis, is expected to be released today.

Instead of remembering Lorenzo Davis for how he died, his loved ones are trying to remember him because of who he was as a person. But with an open death investigation, the family says they will not have closure until they know the truth.

On Thursday, Davis would have turned 29 years old.

"His birthday is today and I just want to tell him happy birthday," said Davis' daughter, Aaliyah Rubin in an interview on Thursday.

Two months after his death, balloons and flowers line the grave of Lorenzo Davis.

His daughter Aaliyah remembers the good times she shared with her father.

"He'll tickled us and we'd laugh," she said.

Davis' death prompted suspicion in July after he died while in the custody of police.

Memphis police say officers responded to an abandoned house where Davis was reportedly selling drugs.

Investigators say when they tried to arrest him, he hit an officer and took off running.

Brenda Conner disputes the reports and claims her son was beaten by police and then transported to Methodist Central where he died.

"Why not The MED where the trauma team would've been there to help out?" asked Conner.

Conner says she wants justice and her questions answered. She still has unanswered questions about her son's death.

"What happen with the beating? What happen with Lorenzo hemorrhaging? What happen with the internal bleeding?" said Conner.

"It's not a day or minute that goes by that I don't think about you Lorenzo," said his mother.

Thursday's vigil was planned in celebration of her son's life.

"Releasing 29 balloons in remembrance of Lorenzo and having a piece of cake," said Conner.

Wearing a t-shirt in her son's honor, Conner said her son will not be forgotten.

The officers involved in this case were routinely relieved of duty pending the outcome of the investigation.

Action News 5 requested an update to the case but has not heard back from the sheriff's office.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.