MEMPHIS, TN - (WMC-TV) – The emerging trend of alcohol enemas is uncomfortable to talk about, but doctors tell us it's happening on college campuses and it's very dangerous. An incident at the University of Tennessee ended with a student nearly dying, and it's opened a lot of eyes. We want to warn you, this story is not for the squeamish.
Tampons soaked in vodka. Beer bongs or plastic tubing put up the rectum or vagina, sometimes in a party setting - all of this to get drunker faster by college-aged young adults not aware just how dangerous it can be - as in the case of 20-year-old Alexander Broughton, a University of Tennessee college student from Memphis who was rushed to the hospital early Saturday morning after a party at the UT Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house.
"It is a larger effect, it is a faster effect, and you are much more likely to become alcohol poisoned," Methodist North Medical Director Dr. William Burch said.
What's worse, it's much more likely to be fatal because it's absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
"Mucosal irritation at the least, and it's much higher instances of death through poisoning," Dr. Burch said.
One would normally get nauseous and throw up the alcohol, but these dangerous methods leave the victim and those around them clueless to what's going on inside their bodies.
"You don't know it's too much. By that time you've passed out and it remains in your system, and you continue to get intoxicated," said Dr. Burch.
When Broughton was taken to the ER he was in critical condition, unresponsive with a 0.4 blood alcohol content. The Christian Brothers graduate is back at school. His father tells me the media and police reports have it wrong, though, and he's currently doing his own investigation to find out exactly what happened in the UT Pike House.
The father tells me he plans to make a statement soon about what exactly happened late Friday night and early Saturday morning. The fraternity has put the UT chapter on suspension. Campus police say there is no evidence hazing was involved.