Sanitation workers stuck with improperly disposed needles

(WMC-TV) - New this morning, two Mid-South Sanitation Department workers were stuck with used and improperly disposed needles in Paragould, Arkansas.

"And of all luck, a needle, didn't even have the plastic parts, just the needle, and it was a big one... it went completely through his boot and punctured his foot," said Keith Harvey, Safety Coordinator, Public Works Department.

The employees must have follow up tests at six months and a year to make sure they did not get a disease or infection.

Harvey said he wants people to understand just because they throw something in the trash, doesn't mean someone else won't have to handle it. He urges people dispose needles properly.

He recommends placing used needles in something like a hazmat container or even an old milk jug before throwing them out.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.