(WMC-TV) – Neighbors rescued an elderly couple out of a burning home in Southeast Memphis overnight.
It happened just after midnight on the 2900 block of Basswood Street.
Investigators say the fire began in the garage and quickly spread throughout the home. Two neighbors saw the flames, broke a window, and saved the couple inside.
"I did what I think any average person would have done, because when someone's life is in danger…I knew I had to help or do something," said Larry Redwood who helped rescue the couple.
The fire damaged a home next door and two vehicles in the driveway. One of the rescuers hurt his hand, but he is expected to be okay. Two firefighters were treated for minor burns.
The two people rescued from inside the burning home are okay.
Investigators say faulty electrical wiring started the fire.