(WMC-TV) – A good samaritan's life is on the line, after he tried to help a woman get out of her burning home.
The man is the woman's next door neighbor.
Not much is left of the house on Walden Glen near Egypt Central. Justin Coburn says the woman and her three dogs got out of the house.
"Right when I was coming out I saw smoke coming out of the house. So I rushed over here," said Coburn. "She had to climb out the window."
Coburn and the neighbor tried to get inside the house to get the key to the woman's car that was in the garage. They did not want it to explode.
Coburn said he eventually kicked the door in but could not get inside the house.
"We tried to kick the door down. I wasn't going in the house cause it was so much smoke you going in the house it was so much smoke you couldn't even breathe," Coburn explained.
While that was happening, the next door neighbor he was with had moved to the sidewalk, where he collapsed.
Firefighters worked inside the burned out house, throwing out wood and furniture, and other burned belongings to make sure there was not a flare up. They even pulled wood from the roof.
Twenty firefighters and five engine companies made the scene. Investigators say the fire started just before sunset.
"Once we made the scene in five minutes, we found smoke pushing from all sections of the house and began fighting the fire immediately," said Brent Perkins, Shelby County Fire Department.
Neighbors still cannot believe the house is gone.
Fire officials say the man who collapsed on the sidewalk had a heart attack. He was taken to Methodist North in critical condition.
The woman whose house burned was also transported but does not appear to be seriously injured.