MPD officer who killed teen is back on leave - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

MPD officer who killed teen is back on leave

Terrance Shaw claims 15-year-old Justin Thompson was trying to rob him when he fired the shot that killed the teen. Terrance Shaw claims 15-year-old Justin Thompson was trying to rob him when he fired the shot that killed the teen.
Justin Thompson Justin Thompson

(WMC-TV) – After being back on the job at the Memphis Police Department for less than one week, the officer who shot a 15-year-old boy is back off the job.

In the Action News 5 evening broadcasts, we reported that Terrance Shaw has been back on the job in a non-enforcement status since December 8.

A memo was sent to Mayor A C Wharton Thursday evening to explain the reasoning behind the decision to allow Shaw to come back to work.

Minutes after the memo was sent out, Action News 5 learned from Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong that Shaw was back off of the job, and is no longer even in non-enforcement status.  The director will not say what led them to pull Shaw from active duty once again.

Shaw was off-duty when he said 15-year-old Justin Thompson tried to rob him. He fired a shot that killed the teenager on September 24.

Here is a portion of the memo that was released by City of Memphis Chief Administrative Officer George M Little about the reasons behind Shaw's return to MPD:

"The preliminary review of the shooting did not give any prima facie indication that MPD administrative policies had been violated. There would have been administrative policy violations if there was an indication of criminal wrongdoing on the part of Officer Shaw. In the absence of findings by TBI of violations of the law there are no pending administrative charges against Officer Shaw. It is my understanding that this served at least in part as the basis for placing Officer Shaw in a non-enforcement post."

The TBI says its investigation is still ongoing and there is no time frame on when it may be complete because they are currently waiting on crime lab reports to complete the case file for the district attorney general to review.

Memphis Police Association president Mike Williams notes that Shaw has not been charged with a crime or convicted.

Action News 5's Jason Miles is working to learn more about why Shaw is no longer allowed to work in non-enforcement status as he has been doing since December 8.

Click here to read the full memo mentioned in this article.


Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

RELATED ITEMS

Updated:

Police association rallies around Director Armstrong Mother of teen shot by off duty officer opens up Officer who shot teen has been involved in 3 previous shootings Clergymen support Dir. Armstrong More>>

  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • Memphis police officers play Shelby County deputies in AutoZone Park softball game

    Memphis police officers play Shelby County deputies in AutoZone Park softball game

    Sunday, May 27 2018 5:05 PM EDT2018-05-27 21:05:19 GMT
    AutoZone Park (Source: WMC Action News 5)AutoZone Park (Source: WMC Action News 5)

    It's a battle featuring Memphis Police Department and Shelby County Sheriff's Department. 

    More >>

    It's a battle featuring Memphis Police Department and Shelby County Sheriff's Department. 

    More >>
  • Mid-South heroes celebrated this weekend at AutoZone Park

    Mid-South heroes celebrated this weekend at AutoZone Park

    Sunday, May 27 2018 4:17 PM EDT2018-05-27 20:17:59 GMT
    (Source: WMC Action News 5)(Source: WMC Action News 5)

    This weekend is not just about honoring service members who protected our county, its also time to show appreciation to our Mid-South heroes that protect us in the city. 

    More >>

    This weekend is not just about honoring service members who protected our county, its also time to show appreciation to our Mid-South heroes that protect us in the city. 

    More >>
  • $60M renovation project unveiled for Bartlett High School

    $60M renovation project unveiled for Bartlett High School

    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:15 PM EDT2018-05-27 19:15:05 GMT
    (Source: Bartlett City Schools)(Source: Bartlett City Schools)

    Work is set to start soon on a major renovation project at Bartlett High School, with a big component focused on making students safer. New renderings show how the $60 million-dollar plan will transform the high school. It will include upgraded common areas, as well as a new library, cafeteria and auditorium. "Parts of this campus are over a hundred years old," said Jason Sykes, Bartlett City Schools' communications, volunteer & outreach coordinator. "We have not ...

    More >>

    Work is set to start soon on a major renovation project at Bartlett High School, with a big component focused on making students safer. New renderings show how the $60 million-dollar plan will transform the high school. It will include upgraded common areas, as well as a new library, cafeteria and auditorium. "Parts of this campus are over a hundred years old," said Jason Sykes, Bartlett City Schools' communications, volunteer & outreach coordinator. "We have not ...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly