(WMC-TV) – After being back on the job at the Memphis Police Department for less than one week, the officer who shot a 15-year-old boy is back off the job.
In the Action News 5 evening broadcasts, we reported that Terrance Shaw has been back on the job in a non-enforcement status since December 8.
A memo was sent to Mayor A C Wharton Thursday evening to explain the reasoning behind the decision to allow Shaw to come back to work.
Minutes after the memo was sent out, Action News 5 learned from Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong that Shaw was back off of the job, and is no longer even in non-enforcement status. The director will not say what led them to pull Shaw from active duty once again.
Shaw was off-duty when he said 15-year-old Justin Thompson tried to rob him. He fired a shot that killed the teenager on September 24.
Here is a portion of the memo that was released by City of Memphis Chief Administrative Officer George M Little about the reasons behind Shaw's return to MPD:
"The preliminary review of the shooting did not give any prima facie indication that MPD administrative policies had been violated. There would have been administrative policy violations if there was an indication of criminal wrongdoing on the part of Officer Shaw. In the absence of findings by TBI of violations of the law there are no pending administrative charges against Officer Shaw. It is my understanding that this served at least in part as the basis for placing Officer Shaw in a non-enforcement post."
The TBI says its investigation is still ongoing and there is no time frame on when it may be complete because they are currently waiting on crime lab reports to complete the case file for the district attorney general to review.
Memphis Police Association president Mike Williams notes that Shaw has not been charged with a crime or convicted.
Action News 5's Jason Miles is working to learn more about why Shaw is no longer allowed to work in non-enforcement status as he has been doing since December 8.