MEMPHIS, TN - (WMC-TV) – Memphis Police officer Terrance Shaw, who shot and killed a teen in September, was allowed back to work last week on non-enforcement status. Director Toney Armstrong said it is customary with many officers on administrative leave.
"We put them in places like the Real Time Crime Center where they can watch cameras, take reports, answer phones, and things like that," said Armstrong. "But they have no responsibilities as far an enforcement."
But Armstrong told Action News 5 Thursday night that officer Shaw had already been suspended again.
"He's off duty again," said Armstrong. "For something else."
Armstrong would not reveal why Shaw is off the job again. But he made the announcement minutes after we received a memo from CAO George Little to Mayor A C Wharton explaining why Shaw was allowed back to work.
"The preliminary review of the shooting did not give any initial indication that MPD policies had been violated," wrote Little.
Shaw was originally placed on leave after the fatal shooting of 15 year-old Justin Thompson. He was killed following a possible robbery attempt.
This week, Mayor Wharton himself was surprised to learn Shaw was back on the job. But Armstrong said the mayor's concerns had nothing to do with the new suspension.
"It had absolutely nothing to do with it," said Armstrong.
Officer Shaw's return to the force or permanent dismissal could be determined upon the completion of a TBI investigation.
Mayor Wharton said he was going to call Nashville to try and expedite the investigation.