Man killed by MPD officers, family shocked - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Man killed by MPD officers, family shocked

Police were called to the area of Mississippi Blvd and Danny Thomas Blvd where a man reportedly had a gun. Police were called to the area of Mississippi Blvd and Danny Thomas Blvd where a man reportedly had a gun.
(WMC-TV) - A Memphis man was killed overnight after reportedly firing a gun after officers told him to drop it. Now, family members are disheartened by the shocking news, and to hear his life taken so quickly when they believe something could have been prevented.  

Rain fell on a makeshift memorial for 62-year-old Horace Whiting Sunday afternoon. 

"He was a loving son, a father, an uncle and a cousin," said Horace's sister Joyce Johnson. 

Johnson was one of the first family members to the scene of the shooting that happened in the 400 block of East Georgia Avenue.

According to Memphis police, a call came in around 3 a.m. that a man was standing in a downtown street with a shotgun.

That is when officers arrived and ordered Whiting to drop his weapon. He refused and instead, fired a round from the gun.  MPD said officers returned fire, hitting and killing Whiting. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

"I got a call from my son, and they told me that police and some yellow tape was surrounded by his apartment building," said Johnson. "He was laying down there like a dog."

She waited behind the crime scene tape until almost 7 a.m.

"He was a very nice gentle person, he didn't bother nobody," said Johnson. 

Neighbors were surprised to hear Horace was a problem for police.

 "He ain't never known to be no bad person, and carry no gun or do bad things to people," said neighbor Dorothy Tucker. 

Sunday afternoon, family gathered in sorrow.

"We all have our faults, but my brother was a good, good man," said Horace's other sister Sharon Whiting.

Family said Horace had some mental illness, but that he was not crazy and did not deserve to die.

"It was wrong, it was wrong for how they did to him. Because they didn't have to kill him," said Sharon. 

Police are still investigating this shooting, they have not released the name of any officer involved and have not confirmed that Whiting was in fact the person who was killed.

Of course you can trust Action News 5 to stay on this story and bring you the latest as this story develops. 

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly