Gas found under slabs of 2 homes near sinkhole - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Gas found under slabs of 2 homes near sinkhole

Aerial image March 28, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP) Aerial image March 28, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
An updated map providing distance information from the sinkhole to LA-70 and the Bayou Corne Community. (Source: Assumption Parish OEP) An updated map providing distance information from the sinkhole to LA-70 and the Bayou Corne Community. (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
BAYOU CORNE, LA (WAFB) -

Contractors reported finding the presence of gas under two homes near the massive sinkhole in southeast Louisiana.

The Assumption Parish Police Jury Blog posted at 9:45 a.m. that Texas Brine verified gas is located under the slab of both the home and the shed at one location. There was another post at 10:20 a.m. stating gas had been discovered under the slab of a second home.

Both homes are on Sauce Piquante Lane in Bayou Corne. Officials said monitoring will continue to check for gas in the area.

It's been exactly 9 months since the sinkhole, now 12-acres wide, first appeared in the middle of Bayou Corne.

"I don't want to live like that. I want to leave, and Texas Brine needs to buy my family out," said Jennifer Gregoire.

Gregoire is one of dozens of Bayou Corne homeowners with air monitors in their houses. She is one of three who also have holes drilled through their floors---testing for possible gases below the foundation. On Wednesday, Texas Brine verified gas has been found under two homes on Sauce Piquante Lane—including Gregoire's.

"I'm sitting on the couch, clinching the dog---like oh my God we're about to just go up in flames," said Gregoire. "Then they turn around and, 'everything will be okay.' You ask a question, and it's not even the answer you were expecting. Swamp gas? Really?"

Testing is still being done to determine what those gases are and what effect they may have.

"I'm just wondering what all of this is going to mean now," said Dennis Landry.

Landry lives and owns a business on the other side of highway 70. Unlike Gregoire, he wants to stay.

"Myself and most of my neighbors on Sportsman's Drive are inclined to stay," said Landry. "It would take a buyout where they offer three or four times the value…the pre-sinkhole value of our homes."

Inspectors have been visiting homes around Bayou Corne, as the first step in determining values and beginning the buyout process.  So far no dollar amounts have been mentioned. As for a timetable, a Texas Brine spokesperson tells us homeowners can expect offers 30 to 45 days after the completion of appraisals, which will come after the inspections are complete.

Parish emergency operations director John Boudreaux says another resident on Sauce Piquante Lane reported bubbling in the bayou---north of the street. He says they have sent samples of that water off for further testing.

Work is again on hold near the sinkhole site due to more tremors. Seismic monitors picked up the activity early Tuesday morning. The devices are taking readings around the clock to determine when it's safe for crews to get back to work.

Meanwhile, the sinkhole commission created by the state of Louisiana government will hold a public meeting this Friday to discuss safety.

The meeting is open to the public. It will take place at the Woods Auditorium on the LSU campus from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m.

Bubbles were spotted in Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou in June 2012. Two months later, the ground opened up and left a nine-acre sinkhole. Residents were evacuated and have been for the past seven months. Most affected residents began receiving weekly checks from Texas-Brine in the amount of $875 per week. The sinkhole is now around 14 acres in size.

On March 13, Texas-Brine, the Houston based company that owns the salt dome that caused the sinkhole, announced it would begin assessing the homes and offering buyouts and settlements for the 350 people evacuated.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • More from WMCTV.COMMore>>

  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • FIRST ALERT: Severe thunderstorm warning issued for TN, MS counties until 10:15 p.m.

    FIRST ALERT: Severe thunderstorm warning issued for TN, MS counties until 10:15 p.m.

    Saturday, April 29 2017 10:42 PM EDT2017-04-30 02:42:39 GMT

    The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Crittenden, Cross, Lee and St. Francis Counties until 10:15 p.m. NWS also issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Shelby County, TN from Apr 29 at 9:12 p.m. – 10 p.m. and for DeSoto, Lafayette, Marshall, Quitman and Tate Counties until 9:30 p.m. More than 15,000 customers are without power in the Memphis area.  WMC Action News 5 There are no tornado threats at this point, just heav...

    More >>

    The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Crittenden, Cross, Lee and St. Francis Counties until 10:15 p.m. NWS also issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Shelby County, TN from Apr 29 at 9:12 p.m. – 10 p.m. and for DeSoto, Lafayette, Marshall, Quitman and Tate Counties until 9:30 p.m. More than 15,000 customers are without power in the Memphis area.  WMC Action News 5 There are no tornado threats at this point, just heav...

    More >>
  • Holly Springs PD identify victim found shot, killed inside car

    Holly Springs PD identify victim found shot, killed inside car

    Saturday, April 29 2017 6:52 PM EDT2017-04-29 22:52:39 GMT
    Terry Halloway (Source: submission)Terry Halloway (Source: submission)

    Police in Holly Springs are investigating after a man was shot and killed early Saturday morning in the area of West College Avenue near McKinney Street.

    More >>

    Police in Holly Springs are investigating after a man was shot and killed early Saturday morning in the area of West College Avenue near McKinney Street.

    More >>
  • Former St. Jude patient announces NFL Draft pick

    Former St. Jude patient announces NFL Draft pick

    Saturday, April 29 2017 5:46 PM EDT2017-04-29 21:46:41 GMT
    (Source: Matt Rourke/The Associated Press)(Source: Matt Rourke/The Associated Press)

    A former St. Jude patient got the opportunity of a lifetime Friday night. Kate Foster, 18, had the honor of announcing the Chicago Bears' second round pick at the NFL Draft. 

    More >>

    A former St. Jude patient got the opportunity of a lifetime Friday night. Kate Foster, 18, had the honor of announcing the Chicago Bears' second round pick at the NFL Draft. 

    More >>
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children. 

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    1 dead, NWS issues tornado warnings for ETX

    1 dead, NWS issues tornado warnings for ETX

    Saturday, April 29 2017 11:07 PM EDT2017-04-30 03:07:50 GMT

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly