Cabbie stabbed by customer thought he was going to die - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Cabbie stabbed by customer thought he was going to die


A Murfreesboro cab driver who has only been on the job for three weeks said a customer he picked up early Monday morning wanted him dead. He was stabbed and cut multiple times, but he lived to talk about it.

Nicholas Kennedy is doing remarkably well considering what he has gone through.

"Bottom line is he didn't want me to live," Kennedy said. "He proceeded to stab me in my neck and then held the knife to my throat. He said, 'Do exactly what I tell you or I'll kill you.'"

The 24-year-old cab driver had picked up Ryan Yount, 19, at the Murfreesboro Motel on Northwest Broad Street early Monday morning and took him to a house in the Blackman Community. When they arrived, he told the cabbie his friend wasn't home and asked him to take him to another location on Northfield Boulevard.

"He said that man wasn't home either and asked me to take him to Marcos Pizza," Kennedy said.

That's when Yount allegedly asked for change for a $100, attacked Kennedy and took the cabbie's $86.

"I said, 'Just take the money. Please don't kill me,'" Kennedy said.

After stabbing and cutting Kennedy multiple times, he said the suspect apologized.

"He said, 'I'm sorry man. I'm just trying to feed my daughter,'" Kennedy said.

The cabbie suffered several cuts and stab wounds to his hands, arm and neck, but he said he didn't go down without a fight.

"I grabbed his wrist, and we tussled for a minute and he dropped the knife," he said. "I ended up punching him in the face. I tried to get out the car, and he jumped across the driver seat and grabbed me by the waist and tried to pull me back into the car. He didn't want me to live."

Kennedy said he was afraid he would die.

"I was afraid I had to say goodbye to my parents," Kennedy said. "I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of what it will do to the people around me."

Kennedy managed to get away and flagged down a passing driver for help.

"I collapsed in the street. Four cars passed by and didn't stop while I was bleeding to death," Kennedy said.

Kennedy was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, where he received more than two dozen stitches.

Murfreesboro police, with the help of a Rutherford County Sheriff's Office K-9, tracked down the suspect at the Byrnwood Trailer Park on Wenlon Drive and arrested him.

"God had his hands on my back that night, and he definitely saved my life," Kennedy said.

Yount was charged with attempted murder and especially aggravated robbery. He remains in jail on a $500,000 bond.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly