Grizz fall in game one against Thunder - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Grizz fall in game one against Thunder

(Source: Sue Ogrocki / AP) (Source: Sue Ogrocki / AP)

(WMC-TV) - Kevin Durant led the way with 35 points and 15 rebounds in a back-and-forth contest that resulted in a 93-91 win, giving the Oklahoma City Thunder a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinals.

Trailing by three with three seconds left, the Grizzlies had a chance to tie the game on a three from Quincy Pondexter. The shot missed the mark, but Pondexter was fouled on the play, and went to the free-throw line to shoot three.

After missing the first, and making the second, Pondexter intentionally missed the third, but the Grizzlies were unable to come up with the rebound.

The first few minutes of the game were highlighted by sloppy offense on both sides of the ball, as both teams combined to shoot 0/8 from the field. Zach Randolph got things going for the Grizzlies, starting 2/2 working down low, putting Memphis on top 7-0.

The Thunder then responded with six straight points of their own to cut the lead to one, while forcing the Grizzlies to shoot just 1/8 from beyond the arc early. Kevin Durant led the way for OKC, scoring 10 of his 35 points in the first quarter, but the Grizzlies were able to escape the first frame with a 16-14 lead.

In the second quarter, the offenses settled in. Kevin Martin came off the bench for the Thunder to give Durant some rest, and he quickly found the score sheet with an and-one opportunity.

The Grizzlies had a scare mid-way through the second quarter, as Tayshaun Prince went to the net, but was fouled hard by Nick Collison. Prince was taken out of the game with five minutes left in the second quarter, and the Grizzlies looked to Austin Daye to guard Durant in Prince's absence.

Durant only took one shot in the second quarter, but Martin was left open to score 15 of his 25 points in the 2nd quarter. Randolph paced the Grizzlies in the first half, as he scored 10 of his 18 points in the first two frames, but the Thunder went into half with a 47-46 lead.

After receiving treatment for a sore lower back during the intermission, Prince came back out to start the second half. Mike Conley, and Marc Gasol came alive to begin the 3rd quarter, but Durant was quick to respond, attacking a sore Prince.

The two teams went on to trade a few 3's, as Quincy Pondexter nailed a pair, while Martin drained one of his own. Prince capped off a 13-5 run with a 3 to give the Grizzlies an 11 point lead late in the 3rd. After a string of Thunder free throws and a Martin miss from the charity stripe, Pondexter grabbed a rebound with three seconds left in the quarter and heaved up a half court shot that found nothing but net to beat the buzzer.

The Grizzlies took a nine point advantage into the final quarter, leading 73-64.

The Thunder came out flying to start the 4th quarter, opening it up with a 9-2 run behind six early points from Martin, cutting the Memphis lead to two.

After calling a timeout, the Grizzlies were able to slow things down and get back into a rhythm, extending their lead back to seven with just more than six minutes left to play.

However, the Thunder came storming right back, scoring seven straight points to tie the game at 84, behind four points from Durant and a clutch three from five-time NBA champion, Derek Fisher.

With a little more than a minute left to play, and the Grizzlies holding a one point lead, Gasol backed down on Kendrick Perkins on the baseline, and got a jumper to fall to extend the lead to three. Durant followed that up with a bucket of his own, cutting the Thunder deficit back to one, at 90-89 with 37 seconds left.

After a Grizzlies turnover, Durant took the ball down the court and pulled up for 19-footer and nailed it to give the Thunder a one-point lead with 11 seconds left.

Gasol was the leading scorer for Memphis, as the big man from Spain contributed 20 points and 10 rebounds. Randolph also had a double-double, as he grabbed 10 boards to go along with his 18 points.

The next game in this series will tip off Tuesday, May 7, at 8:30 p.m. in Oklahoma City.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV . All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly