Food left on stove leads to evacuation of high-rise apartment - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Food left on stove leads to evacuation of high-rise apartment

WMC-TV) – The Memphis Fire Department says unattended food left on a stove caused a fire that forced residents at a high rise apartment building to evacuate Thursday morning.

Heavy smoke was reported around 7:30 a.m. on the 7th floor of Linden Camilla Towers, a residential community for seniors.

"I mean it, have your adrenaline flowing like maybe you better get out of here," said Dennis Gray, who was one of 30 residents forced to evacuate the building.

Cecela Jones ran for the elevator.

"I took a chance on the elevator," she said. "I saw the smoke coming out, and the people was coming out and I had took my shot, took my insulin, and I said, 'I better get on out of here.'"

She continued, "Some of them were nervous. Some of the was crying, you know, and Iike, I told them it's better to be out here then to be on the inside."

The fire was brought down shortly after the call but a second alarm was still called in due to heavy smoke coming from the building.  Two MATA buses were sent to the scene to help provide shelter.

A 51-year-old woman was taken to the hospital in non-critical condition to be treated for smoke inhalation.

One apartment sustained water, fire, and smoke damage.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly