Suspected gunman at New Jersey mall found dead - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Suspected gunman at New Jersey mall found dead

PARAMUS, NJ (RNN) – Officials reported that the suspected gunman in a mall shooting incident was found dead in the mall early Tuesday morning of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Shots were fired Monday evening in Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall, forcing employees and shoppers to barricade themselves inside stores.

Witnesses reported hearing anywhere from four to nine gunshots at the mall during the incident, which began around 9:20 p.m. EST, about 10 minutes before the mall's closing time.

NBC 4 New York and CBS New York identified the deceased suspect as Richard Shoop, 20. Besides the alleged gunman, no one else was injured, officials reported.

The body of the suspect was discovered at 3:30 EST Tuesday morning in a remote area in the mall, according to NBC 4 New York, after an extensive sweep of the vast shopping complex of more than 300 stores and 2.1 million square feet.

SWAT teams conducted a store-by-store sweep of the mall. Employees and customers who hid in the mall were slowly evacuated by law enforcement officials throughout the night.

Police attempted to trace the gunman's steps through the mall, saying the mall is equipped with "the most sophisticated technology for identification," according to Jim Tedesco, deputy coordinator with the Office of Emergency Management.

Multiple law enforcement agencies swarmed the scene shortly after the reports of shots fired. There was a large police presence at the mall, including 20 vehicles marked and unmarked, as well as FBI.

"We were about to close for the night, and we started hearing loud bangs. Everyone started running," mall employee Ally Kozik told CNN. "About 10 seconds later, someone dressed in all black holding a large gun passed our store."

Nicole Packs, another mall employee, heard people running and yelling about a gunman on the loose.

"My first instinct was to run back to my store and tell my staff what I heard," she said. "The best option was to have everybody lock down. We went into the bathroom and just locked everything."

Witnesses reported the shots weren't fired in rapid succession, but that there were gaps of time between shots.

National Review reporter Kathryn Jean Lopez was in the mall when the lockdown went into effect and tweeted a photo from her position inside.

"I can't say enough about the kindness and calmness of people here, despite the situation #paramus and professionalism of law enforcement," she tweeted.

Another witness said the gunman was aiming his firearm at security cameras and shooting them.

The mall, located about 12 miles from Manhattan, is one of the busiest in the area. According to NBC 4 New York, the mall was built in 1957 and was one of the first major malls built in the nation.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly