Dog seeking leftovers catches home on fire - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Dog seeking leftovers catches home on fire


A dog seeking leftovers caught her home on fire, Olathe firefighters said Thursday.

The dog was home alone when the goldendoodle, named Harley, decided to go after leftovers. The dog accidentally turned on a burner on the gas stove, which ignited the top of the stove, investigators determined.

Firefighters credit the screeching sound of smoke alarms for alerting neighbors who called authorities. Firefighters responded at 9:45 a.m. and were able to put the fire out.

The 7-month-old dog was also rescued from the two-story townhome, Capt. Mike Hall of the Olathe Fire Department told KCTV5.

Jared Herrera said a neighbor called him at work to alert him about the smoke detectors blaring.

"Your mind is racing. You are thinking the worst-case scenario," he said.

The fire was contained to the stove but smoke did fill the apartment, which Herrera has spent the afternoon airing out.

Herrera said he raced to his home, and learned a cutting board left near the stove with a wooden utensil on it caught fire. He said Harley was scared and clearly knew something bad had happened.

"I have caught her before in the past trying to get up here and snoop around," he said. "That's exactly what happened."

Firefighters found Harley on the floor by the front door. When they opened the door, a neighbor yelled for Harley who fled the smoke to her waiting arms.

Herrera said he is "OCD" about checking his batteries in his smoke alarms, and has a working carbon monoxide detector. He said he is grateful to his neighbors for acting so quickly by calling authorities and alerting him.

"Without my neighbors, I could have lost everything," he said. "I love them."

He thanked the management at Westerfield homes and the Olathe Fire Department as well.

"The Olathe Fire Department's response time was fantastic," he said. "It was unbelievable."

The home is at 1037 E. Prairie St.

Herrera and his wife have three young children.

Hall said the situation could have been much worse if not for the working smoke detectors. He said to be sure and test your smoke alarms and replace any alarms that are at least 10 years old.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly