Great grandson, family saves 100-year-old from burning home - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Great grandson, family saves 100-year-old from burning home

Posted: Updated:
The family is just happy Mitchell was not injured. The family is just happy Mitchell was not injured.
It did not take firefighters long to get the blaze under control. It did not take firefighters long to get the blaze under control.

(WMC-TV) - Family members checking on their 100-year-old great grandmother after the winter storm Monday saved her from a house fire.

"I came in the house ... I just seen the chimney and everything was on fire. I was like, 'Well I got to do something. I gotta get her out. I can't just let her sit there,' " said great grandson Jamar Bullions. "When I opened the door, it just flames."

Bullions and other relatives brought Christine Mitchell out of her house safely. They say a wood-burning stove caught the house on fire.

It did not take firefighters long to get the blaze under control.

Mitchell has lived in the house for all of her 100 years. Relatives say she had family pictures that date back a century ago, many of which apparently were destroyed in the fire.

The family is just happy Mitchell was not injured.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android |SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow